public health Preparedness
Public health preparedness refers to the community's ability to prepare for, respond to, and recover from a public health emergency. Our agency is dedicated to strengthening our abilities to protect the public health in disaster situations such as disease epidemics, chemical and radiological releases, severe weather, and natural disasters.
- Jackson County Emergency Management
- Jackson County Fire Marshal
- Harris Regional Hospital
- Harris Regional EMS
- Local law enforcement
- Local fire departments
- Local nursing homes
- Jackson County Department of Social Services
- Jackson County Public Schools
- Western Carolina University
- Western Regional Public Health Preparedness & Response
- Vaya Health
Is your family prepared for a tornado, hurricane, flood, or other disaster?
Here is what you will need to make your own emergency supply kit.
CodeRED is a type of reverse 9-1-1. This system allows County Officials (Emergency Management) the ability to deliver pre-recorded telephone notification/information messages to targeted areas, or the entire County concerning manmade, or natural emergencies.
No one should automatically assume his/her phone number is included. All businesses as well as individuals who have unlisted and listed telephone numbers should register. If changes are made to the telephone number or the physical address of the residence/business, those changes need to be made to CodeRED. Please log-in and make the appropriate changes for the database to keep it current. Businesses have the opportunity to add an additional number if their property is included in an emergency situation. The CodeRED system works for cell phones, but we have to have a physical street address attached with the number.
Required information for CodeRED is first and last name, physical street address (no P.O. boxes), city, state, zip code and primary telephone number to be used. Be sure to check the box if you live in a manufactured or mobile home.
For questions about CodeRED, contact Jackson County Emergency Management at 828-586-7508.
- Jackson County Department of Public Health's Preparedness Plans
- Ready.gov: Downloadable plan to make sure you are ready in advanced
- FEMA: Federal Emergency Management Agency
- CDC: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- When the Sky Turns Grey: Animated video about winter storm preparedness
For additional information, call 828-587-8288.